This two following weeks we will be learning about brand identity, what is a brand? and how do you start a brand? I am having a difficult time putting what I have learned into words given thought I am not so sure I understand it all yet, but I will try.
I have learned that a brand is a promise, a promise a company or product makes to their costumers, but it’s also more than that; a brand is a promised kept repeatedly. You could compare a brand to someone you know and you can trust. So how do we make brands? do we draw a logo and come up with a name? actually, it is not that simple. One needs a lot of planning before creating brands. For a brand to be succesful, it has to be authentic, relevant,consistent and committed. As i said before creating a brand is a long process. you could divide it into 5 steps
- Defining the brand(This is the brands promise.)
- Positioning the brand(this is the part where you find out who the consumers are going to be , and the part I will be talking a little bit more a bout throughout this post)
- Expressing the brand (Image of the brand, the brand name , the logo)
- Building awareness( telling people about the brand)
- Mesuring the brand(is it living up to its promise? )
Now lets jump into the assignment
2. Look at the following logos and explain in your own words what you consider they positioning to be (do this for each one)
I learned that positioning is how a brand is perceived by their target market amongst their competitors. Positioning ensures that all brand activity has a common goal. I guess I would see it as how and where the brand puts itself in the mind and eyesight of the consumers, and wich consumers they choose to have in mind while making the product .
Brand positioning must make sure that:
- Is it unique/distinctive vs. competitors ?
- Is it significant and encouraging to the niche market ?
- Is it appropriate to all major geographic markets and businesses ?
- Is the proposition validated with unique, appropriate and original products ?
- Is it sustainable – can it be delivered constantly across all points of contact with the consumer ?
- Is it helpful for organization to achieve its financial goals ?
- Is it able to support and boost up the organization ?
Coca-cola is a worldwide organisation that was founded in 1892. In addition to coca cola they sell products as fanta, Bonaqua,sprite and urge. They are best known for its flagship product Coca-Cola, that was invented in 1986 by pharmacist John Stith.
I consider their positioning to be amongst the young and adults, they also targeted the whole world using anchor bottlers all around the world, spreading their product even more. They provide their customers with emotional benefits like refreshment and knowing that they can have fun drinking their beverage. They also use christmas to give people a warm and nostalgic feeling whenever they think of coca cola;targeting even more people.
Volkswagen is a german automaker that was founded in 1937 and translates to “people’s automobile” in german. This is due to the fact that in the early 1930s, the german auto industry had mostly luxury models, and the average german couldn’t afford anything other than a motorcycle. Thereby giving room for an idea of a new brand that would target the average working people and families. Volkswagen gives their target market economic benefits and aims to the average person with a normal job.
Visa is an American multinational financial services corporation headquartered in the United States of America. It makes it easier for people to transfer money around the world, most commonly trough visa branded credit cards and debit cards. Visa provides financial institutions with visa branded payment products that they use to credit, debit, prepaid and cash access programs to their customers.
I consider they positioning to be amongst adults or companies that need to send or receive money from other parts of the world. Wich means practically everybody, since globalization has made it so easy for us to buy stuff from all around the world. They provide their costumers with functional an economic benefits.
2.Lets work backwards! Look at the logo on the Apple iPhone and, by doing your own research, investigate the history of the product and the company that manufactures it. Give an outline, in your own words, of what you consider the following to be:
- Describe its brand identity – exactly as you see it:I would say that the brand identity of the iPhone would be innovative, fancy and user-friendly. Apples promise to the consumer here is that they can use their product easily and that they get a good-looking product with really high quality.
- What do you think its positioning is currently?They positioning currently is between people of all ages, but specially between the young generation, because they are the ones that catch up with changes faster and because of all the new apps that exist now day. However also adults since it is really easy to use.
- What do you think the strategy for this specific product was?The strategy was that they would make a product different from the ones in the market, an innovative product and one that was a lot more user-friendly. They also used the popular “internet” strategically, as described by steve jobs .”a wide-screen iPod with hand controls… a revolutionary mobile phone… [and] a breakthrough Internet communications device”. In addition to all this the iPhone can connect easily with other apple products through the iCloud, they have used this strategy to get people to buy other apple products.
- What research do you think was done on this by the company who made it?They must have gone through a lot of research before launching the product because this was their first phone, so I guessed they researched other succesful phone companies and bad ones before they launched the product, to avoid making any possible mistake.
3. Now take the same product as in question 2 and explain, in your own words, how the visual element (in this case, the logo) fits in with the brand identity.
- Hows does the apple logo fits in with the iPhone identity?
The logo is simple, it is easy to remember and familiar. It uses a symbol instead of a word, but the symbol triggers a word in your head so its multifunctional. Just like the iPhone, the iPhone is user-friendly, it is innovative, it has become very familiar, everybody is using it, and the apps also contain small logos that make it easier for people to find what they want.
Here are my Sources ! https://managementstudyguide.com/brand-positioning.htm> Brandingd fundamentals. https://www.lynda.com/Enterprise-Marketing-tutorials/Developing-brands-name/171053/372380-4.html Brands. http://www.coca-colacompany.com/brands/the-coca-cola-company Who invented cocacola. http://www.whoinventedit.net/who-invented-coca-cola.html ur buisness. https://usa.visa.com/about-visa/our_business.html A network that connects the world. https://usa.visa.com/about-visa.html