Now that you have built and tested your website, I would like you to market it. Let’s say that your budget is NOK 10 000 (or 1800 $ US). Please do the following:
- Do some research on what advertising costs. You could for instance contact your local newspaper, print shop and other websites.
I found it a bit difficult to find prices on advertising, I guess everything depends of how many people are going to see it and at what time of the day and stuff like that. In Vg they had a list of how much it would cost but the prices where really high so I am not sure if its advertising for a year or more.
Google had a really nice system for calculating price, they even let you bid your price, I found out that a year with google would be like 1825 kr, if I paid 5kr per click. So that was nice, the thing I did not understand was if they ment that I had to pay 5kr each time someone clicked into my page or each day, I guess I will have to look more into it.
2. Make a detailed list of how you would market your website. Remember to keep your budget in mind.
- I would start by making my site Search engine friendly and focusing in my content. Making sure I have good content and the right information. In addition to that I would make a mobile friendly site so that I could advertise in phones aswell ( this part is free).
- The second think I would do is make social media profiles to link to my site and make a plan on good content to put on those sites, like beautiful pictures of Bergen or fun facts about it. Maybe get people to participate with hashtags and photography contests(This one will probably also be free)
- I will also print business cards and flyers and this would probably cost me like 2000 kr depending on how many I had to print and for how long.
- Finally I would by on google to optimize my search. This will probably also cost me around 2000kr.
- Newspapers in other towns would help my site since it is about visiting Bergen. So I would put some advertising in national newspapers.
- What if you had double the budget? Come up with a second marketing strategy, this time with NOK 20 000 at your disposal. (3600 $ US)
- If I had 10000 kr more I would pay for a billboard in the airport so that people just arriving could see it and visit the site right away, maybe also putting it in the airline magazine so people all over the world could see it. ( I would plan this last bit just before a holiday season or a season where it is best to visit Bergen.)
3. Come up with a viral idea. It doesn’t have to be a video; it can be guys dancing at the airport in gorilla suits. You can use ANYTHING that is at your disposal. Be creative!
My viral Idea would be to give people a challenge of showing their favorite secret site of Bergen and pinning it to a map on the site, they can make a video, write a story or take a picture, in this way the locals will help provide popularity to the site. And people from outside will find more inspiration to come and visit!