Written Assignment (1 h 30m)
- In your own words, describe the procedure of planning a fashion shoot. You don’t need to go into too much detail, a short outline will do.
When planning a fashion shoot it is important to come up with a concept early in the process. This concept will be a joining point for all the crew. It is important to be organised and plan everything beforehand.
- What are the stylist’s duties?
The stylist needs to prepare the model for the shoot, she is in charge of the hair and makeup and when you are shooting, she will be the one checking that the model looks her best at all times.
- List your duties as photographer
The photographer needs to plan the shoot, check that all the necessary equipment is transported to the shoot, come up with the concept, book everybody for the shoot, take and edit the photographs, make backups, make sure everyone gets breaks and food and water.
- What equipment would you take along on the Alice in Wonderland shoot that was featured in this module?
I would take with me a camera, 50 ml lense and a 30 ml lense, reflectors, tripod, props and costumes.
- Find an editorial fashion spread in a fashion magazine. Explain what you think the concept was, what equipment they used and how the location affected the concept. Scan or photograph the shoot and hand it in along with your answer.
Concept: Spring, artistic
Equipment: It looks like they only used the camera and natural light for this shoot. (Because of the harsh shadows of her face)
Location: The location looks like a garden or a place with a lot of plants. This makes the concept of spring more belivable.
1. Watch the tutorial on Lynda.com: Douglas Kirkland on Photography: Editorial Assignment
Plan a snow white themed fashion shoot
The fashin shoot is going to be inspired by snow white, but I plan to give it a modern approach, the clothes and hair should be modern, but still remind of snow white. The fashion shoot is going to be outside and inside.
Create a moodboard for fashion and makeup
Create a Storyboard
Create a Shotlist
Fashion shoot // Snow White
Time on set: 12:00 pm
Team on set:
- Make-up Artist: Tesselly Disla
- Stylist: Arianna Molina
- Art Director: Arianna Molina
- Photographer: Arianna Molina
- Assistant: Dany Herbas
- Model: Sara Molina
- 50 mm lens
- Camera body
- Memory cards
- Battery chargers
- lots of apples
- Outside in nature
- pictures with apples
- inside closeups
- whole body shot with dog
Ceate a Timeline for the shoot day
Saturday 17 of mars
Get clothes for the model ready, and put all the equipment and props in one place
Pick up the makeup artist at the busstop
Start applying makeup and fixing the models hair
start shooting outside
clean up and drive the makeup artist to the busstop
Optional Practical Assignment
If you have the resources, find a friend or family member who will fit the theme and a friend who is willing to do the model’s make-up and hair. Scout out a location and execute your shoot. It doesn’t have to be as detailed as we discussed above, it is just a way for you to get a feel of what a fashion shoot will be like. Publish your pictures with your assignment.
I decided to use my little sister as the model since she was the one that look the most like snow white. I called a friend to be the makeup designer and hair stylist and I chose the outfit the model would use.
Here are the results:
And she lived happily ever after…